The Global Living Community (GLC) is an intercultural living and learning environment for 22 Georgetown undergraduate students, an equal mix of both international and U.S. citizens. Founded in 1993, the GLC is located on the 4th floor of Arrupe Hall and primarily advised and administered by the Office of Global Services. The goal of the GLC is to create a community in which intercultural understanding extends beyond the classroom into daily student life. To achieve the GLC’s mission, members of the GLC community work together to explore international and intercultural issues through organized activities and events.
Each semester, students in the GLC break up into six activity committees and plan six outings and activities with their peers. These activities include:
- Social Event: Past events have included bowling, ice skating, picnics, or movie nights.
- Cultural Event: Past events have included celebration of international holidays, attendance of cultural performances or festivals, or trying out new international cuisine at an area restaurant.
- Service Event: Past events have included volunteering at soup kitchens, creating a relay for life team, hosting an international booth at DC Read’s Fall Fest or hosting an activity booth at the OGS Holiday Party.
- 3 Global Dinner Banquets: Students invite a professor to come and speak on an international topic of interest over dinner.
GLC Mission Statement
The Global Living Community (GLC) is a residence hall program dedicated to international/intercultural learning. The GLC's goal is to contribute to the global literacy of the University by creating an on-campus community in which cultural diversity is truly valued. Participants are committed to promoting international understanding by exploring issues of international importance, by creating new cross-cultural connections, and by enriching existing international linkages on campus and in the wider community.
- December 5, 2016 - LLC applications open on Hoya Housing
- February 6, 2017 - Housing Fair
- February 9, 2017- LLC applications close
- February 28, 2017 - Email sent to LLC applicants updating them on status of their app.
- March 3, 2017 - Students’ response to their offers due
- March 15, 2017- LLC process completed
- Advisor: Stacy Williams Program Coordinator, Office of Global Services
- Community Director: Quintin Veasley
- Sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Arrupe Hall