Residence halls and apartments (except Townhouses) close for the fall semester following the completion of final exams.
All residents must vacate 24 hours after their last final OR by 10am on Wednesday, December 21, 2016.
- If you are returning to your same room/apartment you do not need to return your room key.
- Remember to take all essential items (medicines, passports, etc) with you when you leave.
- Students found in their residential space will be fined $100 per night for the unauthorized stay. No one will be allowed access to their rooms until re-opening at 10am on January 10, 2017.
before you leave
- Inspections will take place before or during the holiday break. Any damages assessed will be charged to your student account.
- Defrost and clean your refrigerator and dispose of all foods.
- Pack all necessary items you will need during break given that you will not be permitted back into your space until spring opening. Carts may be checked out from the RHOs if necessary.
- Unplug everything (except full-size refrigerators), including mini-fridges, televisions, lamps, etc.
- Close and secure all windows and doors. Windows left open may cause pipes to freeze and burst, causing water damage.
- Turn heating units in your room/apartment to “medium,” or 60 degrees. DO NOT TURN OFF HEAT.
- Any Residential Living furniture (i.e. lounge furniture) found in student rooms during inspections will result in disciplinary sanctions.
- Take out all trash to avoid the spread of pests. Exterminators will be spraying EVERY room, apartment and townhouse over the break. Contact the Academic Resource Center at email@example.com by Friday, December 2nd if you have a registered medical need requiring special attention.
- RHOs will "freeze" package delivery from UPS and FedEx beginning Wednesday, December 15. Please note that carriers will hold or return to sender packages received after that date. Since you will not be able to retrieve packages during the time the RHOs are closed, please be sure that medications and other essential items will arrive before Wednesday, December 16, 2015.
- All packages remaining in the RHOs after 1pm on Monday, December 19 will be returned to the respective delivery services. Be sure to pick up your packages before you leave for the winter break.
- Package deliveries will resume on Wednesday, January 11, 2017. Packages shipped to arrive prior to this date might be returned to sender by the carrier since the RHOs are closed.
Finals/Closing RHO Hours:
December 8-20 | 12pm - 9pm
December 21 | 9am - noon
January 10 | 9am – 6pm
Regular RHO Hours resume on January 11, 2017
not returning / switching rooms
- If you are not returning to campus for the spring semester (graduating, taking a leave of absence, transferring or withdrawing) submit a Housing Drop form in The Office of Residential Living in Harbin 100. We are open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.
- All belongings must be removed and the space should be cleaned.
- Items left behind will be boxed by Residential Living and charge the student $200 per box.
- Return key to your designated RHO by 10 am Wednesday, December 21 (keep the receipt). If you need to return your key while the RHO is closed, please place your key in an envelope provided outside of the RHO, Fill out the information requested and slide the envelope underneath the RHO’s door. The top part of the envelope is your receipt. You must bear financial responsibility if there is a question whether you returned the key.
- Keys not returned to the RHO will be considered non-returned keys and subject to a $200 fee.
- If you submitted a room change request for the spring semester it will be processed within a timely fashion. Spring assignments will be sent in early December through Hoya Housing.
- Please be aware that you will not be able to decline the room offered.
- December 7: 24 hour quiet period begins at 10 pm
- December 15: RA and LLC applications available.
- December 20: O’Donovan Dining Hall closes at 2:30 pm.
- December 21: Residence halls close at 10 am.
- January 10, 2017: Residence halls & apartments open at 10 am. There are no early arrival options.
- January 10: O’Donovan Dining Hall opens for dinner at 4:30 pm, no late night.
- January 11: Spring 2016 classes begin
*University offices, including the Office of Residential Living, will be closed December 23 – January 2