Important Dates & Hours of Operation
- Important Dates
- April 26: last day to obtain May Transition Housing for $50 per night
- April 28–May 15: cart reservations available
- April 30: 24 hour quiet begins at 9pm
- May 15: close at NOON for non-graduating students
- May 23: graduating seniors must vacate by noon
- May 31: academic year packages sent to the RHO and unclaimed will be returned to sender
- RHO Hours of Operation
- May 3-May 14: noon–9pm
- May 15: 9am-noon
- May 16-May 18:
- Darnall Hall RHO 9am-9pm
- East Campus RHO 12pm-6pm
- Other RHOs (Village C, Kennedy, New South, Copley): 12pm-4pm
- May 19: RHO Summer hours:
- Kennedy RHO: 24 hours/day
- All other RHOs: 9am-9pm
Move Out Procedures
Students must leave campus 24 hours after their last exam or by 12pm (noon) on Sunday, May 15, 2016. Only graduating seniors and students approved for May Transition Housing may remain in campus housing past closing.
Vacating requires that you move out, remove all your belongings from your residence and lounge, and return your key. Students who do not comply with regulations regarding the vacating of rooms will be subject to both of the following:
- Room occupancy and storage fees. Fees will be charged for belongings left with your roommate.
- Belongings will be moved out of the rooms and the student will assume full responsibility for any losses.
Students are responsible for the following tasks:
- Remove all personal items from your residence; items left in rooms after closing will be donated or disposed of. The University assumes no liability for items left behind.
- All furniture within a residence at the move in inspection must be present and in good condition during the mout out inspection, or you will be charged for replacement.
- Clean your residence, removing all trash and personal belongings. Special cleaning charges begin at $50 for rooms, $175 for apartments and $200 for townhouses. If you have a balcony, patio or backyard you are also responsible for cleaning that space. Do not leave University furniture outside.
- Do not leave carpets or cinder blocks on the floor or lobby or the entire community will be fined for improper trash disposal.
- Remove tape, nails, tacks, or message boards from your walls and doors
- Please dispose of recyclables properly
- Remove bikes from bike racks. Bikes left behind will be removed and donated.
- Residents of Darnall, Copley, New South, Harbin, McCarthy, Kennedy, Reynolds, LXR and Village C must unbunk their beds and leave the pegs on one of the beds. If you live in a room where the beds need to be bunked, please leave them as they are.
- Please remember to lock doors and close windows when you leave to avoid damage to your room, apartment, or townhouse after your departure. If you neglect to lock your doors and windows, you are responsible if damages are found or any furniture is missing during the final inspection.
Failure to complete these tasks could result in charges being assessed to your student account:
Returning Your Key
- Students must return their room key to their RHO at move-out. Failure to return the key will result in a $200 charge. You must return the key assigned to you when you checked-in or you will be assessed a $100 charge. You can verify your accurate key code by calling 202-687-4560 or stopping by the Office of Residential Living, Harbin 100.
- RHO hours will be limited during study days and finals, please refer to the "Important Information and Hours of Operation" section of this page for the RHO hours.
- When the RHO is open: key will be checked against key card and you'll be issued a receipt. Please keep the receipt as proof that you returned your key.
- When the RHO is closed: use a key return envelope posted at the RHO. Fill out all information on the form, tear off the receipt for your records, place the key in envelope and it slide under the RHO door.
- Do not leave your key with your roommate, RA, Community Director or friend.
- If we do not receive a key from you by May 25th you will be charged $200 for a lost key.
- If you take the key home with you, you can mail it the Office of Residential Living by Friday, May 27th in a padded envelope. Residential Living is not liable for envelopes received with no key inside due to poor packaging.
- Please mail to: Office of Residential Living
100 Harbin Hall
Box Number 571117
Washington, DC 20057
- Please mail to: Office of Residential Living
- To appeal a lost key charge, you will need to produce the receipt you received when you returned your key. The last day to appeal this charge is August 15th. Send appeals to the Office of Residential Living with your name, room assignment, student ID number and a copy of your key receipt.
- Your RA or Community Director will perform a final inspection of your space after all residents have left.
- Once inspections are completed, all final damage/cleaning charges will be billed to your student account or deducted from your deposit (if you are a senior).
- Damage charges are uploaded to student accounts by approximately June 9th.
- Damage appeals must be made through your Hoya Housing page by August 15, 2016.
Trash & Donating Items
- Dumpsters will be provided at the following locations:
- Harbin (sidewalk near Performing Arts Center)
- Village A (Lauinger parking lot)
- Alumni Square (N Street)
- Copley (rear Copley)
- Village C & New South (Village C loading dock)
- LXR - Nevils (Walsh Courtyard)
- McCarthy, Kennedy and Reynolds (On the corner of NorthRoad and West Road, by the Multi-sports field entrance)
- Henle Village (NorthEast corner of Leavey)Darnall (on sidewalk behind building)
- Townhouses: (N St)
- Move Out Drive
- The annual Move-Out Drive is Georgetown’s end of the year contribution to our community and the environment.
- As students are cleaning out their room or apartment, they can donate their gently used items to local charities, helping support families in need in the Washington, DC area while also reducing the amount of waste going to landfills.
- 8 donation sites will be located around campus and open 9am –5pm from May 4-15 & 17-18. Hours will be extended from 9am-8pm on May 13th & 15th.
- Please visit the Move-Out Drive website for a map of the donation sites and more details about our partnership with local DC charities.
Packing & Cart Reservations
- Packing Supplies - Shipping
- The Corp (Students of Georgetown, Inc.) offers summer storage to students. For information visit Corp Student Storage. Please keep in mind that cart availability and Corp Storage hours do not always coincide, plan your cart reservation accordingly. Due to construction of the Thompson Athletic Center, storage containers will not be permitted to be stored on campus.
- A few words of caution: There may be other vendors who offer to mail or store your boxes. Make sure the vendors you use are legitimate ones and keep a receipt for all monies paid and all belongings turned over. Know with whom you are working before making a commitment and keep their name and phone number until you return for the fall semester.
- The U.S. Postal Service and UPS will accept parcel post packages weighing no more than 70 pounds. Please note that neither air freight nor UPS provides pickup service at the residence halls or apartments. You cannot arrange shipping through the RHO or Guard Desks. UPS will pick up packages at the UPS store in Poulton Hall on 37th Street.
- Cart Reservations
- Starting on May 1st you may begin reserving Move-Out carts via your Hoya Housing page. Reservations time-slots will be available from May 3rd through May 22nd.
Cable TV & Mail Forwarding
- RCN Cable
- From May 3-23 you may return your RCN video equipment to any of the six (6) RHOs during their operating hours (equipment should not be left at the RHO after hours). You may also return equipment to the RCN Payment center at 5756 Georgia Ave NW 20011 (Payment Center Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00am-6:00pm /Sat: 8:00am-2:00pm / Sun Closed); Make sure you get a receipt. Please call (877)532-HOYA (4692) to disconnect your service. Only return your cable box, remote, and power cord please. We will not accept A/V,RCA, or HDMI cables.
- Without the return of all equipment and a request for disconnection, we won’t be able to stop billing your account.
- Mail and Packages
- Any mail left behind will be forwarded to your home address. To update you address, see your MyAccess page. If you have questions about mail in the summer, contact Mail Services at email@example.com
Package delivery will not stop, but all packages for academic year residents that remain in the RHO will be returned to sender on May 31st. Please advise your family and friends not to send any packages that would arrive after that date, and ensure that you have picked up all your packages before you leave for the summer. If you are a summer resident, your summer packages will be directed to the RHOs based on your summer building assignment.
May Transition & Pre Session Housing
- May Transition Housing
- This is an option provided by the Office of Residential Living to allow students to stay later than the May 15th at noon move out deadline.
- To request May Transition housing, please visit this webpage
- Requests submitted by April 26th: $50 per night
- Requests submitted on May 15th: $75 per night. You must go directly to the Office of Residential Living on this day to make a request.
- May Transition Housing Accommodations are double occupancy rooms in Darnall Hall. Rooms are not pre-assigned; therefore, if a student wants to live with a specific person, they must check-in together. Check-in will take place at the Darnall RHO.
- Residents who lived in Darnall during the academic year who are authorized for May Transition Housing will not have to move and will not get a new roommate.
- All residents who are approved for May Transition Housing must be able to pick up a key on Monday, May 16th between 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM. Their move must be completed and their academic year key returned no later than 9 PM on that day. If a student’s academic year RHO is closed, the key should be placed in the key return envelope available at the RHO and slide underneath the door of the academic year RHO. We cannot accommodate exceptions to these move dates and time.
- If involved with a department that requires you to remain on campus later than noon on May 15th, the contact person for that department must register you for May Transition Housing by April 26th.
- Pre Session Housing
- Pre-Session Housing is available to both on-campus and off-campus students. Off-campus students will be charged tax, which can be refunded if they provide proof of enrollment in a Pre-Session course by June 23, 2016.
- Sign-up for Pre-Session Housing will be available for students between April 18th at 9 am-April 26th at 5pm by visiting this webpage
Georgetown University is a pedestrian friendly campus. For safety of pedestrians and motorists alike, vehicular traffic in the core of campus is limited to service, construction and emergency vehicles. It will not be possible for you to park near your student’s residence on the main campus. The following parking locations available are listed below and can be viewed on this map.
Southwest Quad Garage (entry from Canal Road) Is the designated guest parking area. This garage provides the best access to Copley Village A, New South, Village C East & West, Harbin, Kennedy. McCarthy and Reynolds. Free two-hour parking is available all day and evening. Let the attendant know that you on campus for move-out.
Leavey Garage (entry from Canal Road) is available for free two hour parking from after 3 pm May 9-13. Saturdays and Sundays are free all day. Please use the West entrance. There is a paid garage for the medical campus on the North side of the Leavey garage. The rate is up to $25, this is not refundable by the University. This garage provides access to Henle Village, Copley Hall and Darnall Hall.
Lot 9 (entry from Prospect St) is available after 5 pm May 9-13 for free two hour parking. This lot is also available all day Saturday and Sunday. This lot provides access to Village A. Parking along Prospect St in front of Village A is not permitted as it interferes with outgoing shuttle bus traffic.
Lot B: (entry from Reservoir Rd) is available Saturday and Sunday from 7 am -7 pm.
For students living in Alumni Square, Townhouses, Nevils and LXR, legal street parking is available near those residences. These are city streets and not subject to Georgetown jurisdiction.