FOLLOW THESE TIPS FOR A SAFE HOLIDAY WEEKEND
OBEY ALL LAWS AND RULES. YOU DON'T WANT TO GET INTO TROUBLE WITH GEORGETOWN OR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.
NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE. WHENEVER POSSIBLE, USE ALTERNATE MODES OF TRANSPORTATION. METRO/BUS/TAXI/UBER/LYFT/SAFERIDE
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE ROUTE YOU ARE TRAVELING TO GET TO YOUR DESTINATION.
INFORM YOUR ROOMMATES/FRIENDS/FAMILY WHERE YOU WILL BE GOING FOR THE NIGHT. IF YOUR PLANS CHANGE, KEEP EVERYONE IN THE LOOP.
TAKE YOUR PHONE CHARGER. KEEPING A CHARGED PHONE THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT WILL BE HELPFUL WITH GETTING HOME/STAYING IN CONTACT WITH EVERYONE.
WHENEVER POSSIBLE, TRAVEL IN GROUPS. IF YOU ARE TRAVELING ALONE, HAVE A FRIEND MEET YOU AT YOUR FINAL DESTINATION.
CARRY EMERGENCY CASH ON YOU. CAB FARE, BOTTLED WATER, SLICE OF PIZZA, IT CAN COME IN HANDY.
KNOW YOUR SURROUNDINGS. IF YOU ARE VISITING ANOTHER COLLEGE CAMPUS OR DIFFERENT AREAS IN THE DISTRICT, MAKE SURE YOU ARE AWARE OF THINGS GOING ON AROUND YOU.
IF YOU FIND YOURSELF AT A PARTY WHERE YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE, GRAB YOUR FRIENDS AND LEAVE.
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING. HELP KEEP THE COMMUNITY SAFE.
REMINDER FOR ALL OFF-CAMPUS STUDENTS
- First, update your local address and next of kin information in MyAccess. When in MyAccess, select personal information and complete the steps. Failure to update your local address is a violation of the Code and can lead to a registration hold on your account for spring 2015 classes and referral to the Office of Student Conduct for failure to comply.
- Second, register for your mandatory Hoya Living Off Campus Orientation. You are expected to attend the date and time you signed up for. Failure to attend an orientation session will result in a referral to the Office of Student Conduct for failure to comply.
- Third, if you can't tell already, we are excited for your move in, but not the trash it can generate! Select a date for Georgetown University Facilities to pick up bulk trash* items. We understand that excess trash can be generated when moving into a new home, so let us help you avoid a fine from the city. Make sure to breakdown your cardboard boxes and place them next to your recycling cans. Department of Public Works (DPW) will collect cardboard boxes on the next recycling collection day.
* Bulk trash items are large pieces of trash; such as a desks, mattresses, dressers, chairs, etc.)
OFFICE OF NEIGHBORHOOD LIFE MISSION STATEMENT
The Office of Neighborhood Life supports all students, non-students, and permanent residents in the communities surrounding Georgetown University. Our office will educate students about university policies and local ordinances; continue to build and strengthen neighborhood relations by facilitating dialogue; and promote civic citizenship to create a positive quality of life for everyone living in the neighborhood.
STUDENTS & PARENTS
If you're planning on living off campus and looking for a place, check out Before you Sign. Find a rental property with our rental finder below. Ready to commit to a lease? Verify that your landlord is licensed to rent in DC.
If you've signed a lease or already moved in, check out Living in your Home.
Parents, if you're curious to know about your child's responsibilities while living off campus, check out our University Expectations page.
If you'd like to discuss Georgetown's presence in the neighborhood, call us at (202) 687.5138 or email us. If its after business hours and you need to report an issue, call the university hotline at (202) 687.8413.
QUESTIONS ABOUT BRINGING YOUR HOME INTO COMPLIANCE WITH DC LAW?
Have questions about Basic Business Licenses (BBL)? The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) is there to help accommodate landlords looking to get more information about how to bring their home into compliance. Call the Business Licensing Division at (202) 442.4311 or email your questions to email@example.com.
Apply for a Basic Business License (BBL) Online
- Visit https://cpms.dcra.dc.gov/OSUBI/Default.aspx
- Select “Apply online for Basic Business Licenses / Expedited Home Occupation Permit (eHOP)”
- Select primary business activity (One Family Rental or Two Family Rental)
- Complete steps 2-11 (Should take approximately 15 minutes)
- Pay for the license with credit card
- Print out your license
- Wait for a call from the DCRA to schedule an inspection orcall (202) 442-9557 to schedule an inspection