Check out our How to Hilltop Guide for a quick review of basic residential procedures!


All rooms and apartments are cleaned prior to fall move-in. Vacant rooms and apartments are cleaned prior to spring move-in. Occupied spaces are not cleaned by University staff prior to spring semester move-in. During the course of the academic year, students are expected to clean and discard trash regularly. Excessive trash, dirty dishes and open/left out food can attract insects and rodents. Vacuum cleaners are available at the RHOs/

Common areas are cleaned by University cleaning staff. Residents are expected to clean up after themselves and leave common space in good order. Dishes left in community kitchens will be discarded.

Damage Guidelines

Student housing fees cover all normal wear and tear. Residents will not be charged for repairs or maintenance due to normal wear and tear. Vandalism costs, however, are not included in the housing fees. Individual students and residential communities are held liable for vandalism costs.


Damages to public or common areas that are preventable (broken windows, graffiti, stolen furniture and light fixtures, etc.) that are not assignable to individuals will be billed in equal amounts to the groups having responsibility for those areas. It is the responsibility of all residents to notify the Community Director or Resident Assistants if they have any knowledge of individuals responsible for damage to community areas or property.

Individual Damage Billing

Charges not covered under routine wear and tear are:

  1. Misuse
  2. Vandalism and abuse; accidental use and/or modifications necessitating repair, replacement, or other expense
  3. Deliberate damage
  4. Loss or theft
  5. Maintenance and housekeeping services beyond those reasonably required.

Students are responsible for the reasonable care and cleaning of their rooms and reporting maintenance issues. The necessity of additional cleaning, maintenance and repairs by University or contract personnel for the purpose of health or safety will result in additional charges.

Damage Billing Appeals

Students may submit an appeal to any charges they believe to be unfounded by filling out the Damage Billing Appeal form on their Hoya Housing page. The submission must include the specific charge and amount being appealed, the justification for the appeal, and any supporting documentation available (photos, work orders, etc). Supporting documentation can be emailed to Appeals will not be granted if justifications cannot be substantiated. The Office of Residential Education will review and respond with a decision in due course. All decisions rendered by the Office of Residential Living are final.

General inquiries that are not appeals regarding specific residential facilities damage charges may be directed to the email address

Room Condition Reports

Reports are made about the condition of each room, apartment, or townhouse before students move into a space. Students should look at these reports during their first week in a residence to review its accuracy, and make any updates if necessary. At the end of the semester/year, students will be billed for any damage not reflected on the RCR.

Room Switches

Room Change Requests During the Academic Year

Students wishing to request a room change during the academic year must meet with their Community Director. There is a room switch freeze in place during the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters, as well as the last month of each semester. During room switch freeze periods, only emergency room changes can be made at the discretion of Residential Living staff. The Room Switch freeze for Fall 2016 begins Monday, November 7, 2016.

We hope you are having a good semester. Below is information regarding a few fall applications that may be pertinent to you.

16-17 Fall-to-Spring Room Switch Process

Residents in a current Fall 2016 assignment who wish to switch to a new Spring 2017 assignment must request a switch by completing the 16-17 Fall-to-Spring Room Switch Application, which is due by 5pm, November 4, 2016. Do not submit this application if you would like a switch within the current fall semester, those request are to be submitted through Hoya Housing.

By electing to Room Switch for spring semester you will be held responsible for the following:

All items must be packed up and removed from your bed, desk, dresser and closet before you vacate, and no later than 10am, Wednesday, December 21, 2016. Failure to move out and return will result in a lock change and moving fee being assigned to your student account.

You are responsible for the storage of your items. You must either take them home or make arrangements to have them neatly stored and clearly marked in the corner of either your fall or spring assignment. The Office of Residential Living is not responsible for items improperly stored, moving, or granting residents access to their fall semester housing assignment upon returning to campus in the spring semester.

Return your fall semester room key to either Harbin 100 or your RHO. Please ask for and retain a key receipt for your records. A non-returned key will result in a $200 fine.

IMPORTANT: Requests must be mutual; Residential Living will only honor requests where both parties have completed their required application. Student may cancel their request any time before November 4 by emailing their cancellation request to Residential Living.

Vacancy Filling Requests

Residents remaining in their same fall assignment for spring semester, who are anticipating a vacancy in their unit for Spring 2017, can request to fill that space by completing the Spring 2017 Vacancy Filling form, which is due by 5 pm November 4, 2016.

Residential Academy Residents:
If you anticipate a vacancy for Spring 2017, please complete the form above. The residents you request will be sent an Academy application and their addition to your unit will be dependent on approval of this application.  
Use this form if you are requesting a returning study abroad student(s) or a student(s) who is moving from different space on campus. 

*Students who were granted Study Abroad Holds do not need to be requested, as their Hold has already guaranteed them a specific assignment.

*Requests must be mutual; Residential Living will honor requests where both parties have completed their required applications. New spring assignments will be confirmed, the first week of December.

Housing Cancellation

If you are a current senior planning to move off campus for the spring, the deadline to cancel housing, with a $1000 cancellation fee, is 5pm Friday, October 28, 2016. After that date students are responsible for the full spring semester room fee. To cancel your housing, please complete a Housing Drop form in Harbin 100.

Graduating Seniors & Withdraw from the University

There is no cancellation fee for students who will withdraw or graduate at the end of Fall 2016, however, you must complete a Housing Drop form available in the Office of Residential Living, Harbin 100. Please complete this form by November 4.

Searches, Room Entry and Inspections

The University reserves the right to enter a student's room or apartment for health, safety and administrative purposes. Typically, a student's room may be entered with the consent of the resident or under the following circumstances:

  1. For administrative purposes, such as safety inspections, facility repairs and general housekeeping. If a resident is not present, a note will be left indicating the name(s) of the person(s) entering and the reasons for doing so. 
  2. When there is evidence or strong suspicion of an emergency that warrants immediate entry such as the presence of smoke, flooding, screams for help, or other indicators of danger.
  3. When given reasonable suspicion of conduct that may violate University policies, a search may be performed upon authorization by Student Affairs staff.

Trash & Recycling

Students are responsible for removing trash and recyclables from their room or apartment and taking them to designated trash rooms or dumpsters. Students may not place trash in the halls, stairwells or outside their apartment for cleaning staff to pick-up. Students who do so will be assessed a $25 per bag fine.