Finding/Choosing a Roommate
Freshmen may select a roommate by either participating in CHARMS (Campus Housing Roommate Matching System) or being matched based on responses to the Living Preference Questionnaire.
More information about the housing application and CHARMS process will be disseminated soon!
- Be clear from the beginning. Talk about your quirks as soon as you can (so you can avoid blowing up about them later!)
- Address things when they're little. Most of the time your roommate may not even be aware she/he is doing something that annoys you.
- Respect your roommate's stuff. Ask before you borrow, use, or take anything.
- Be careful of who you bring into your room -- and how often. Your study habits may be different. Your roommate may love quite and you like crowds. Discuss alternating when someone gets the room for studying, if your preferences differ.
- Along those lines, decide if overnight guests are allowed and if so, how often. Try not to make your roommate uncomfortable with unwelcome guests.
- Lock the door and windows. This is BIG. Theft does occur on campus. Keep safe and lock your room when no one is there and at night when you are asleep. Check out this awesome video by our RAs for more information!
- Be friendly, without expecting to be best friends. You do not have to be best friends with your roommate. Awesome if it happens, but if not that is okay. Just stay friendly with each other and you’ll be fine!
Room change requests are not granted except for emergency purposes from the time assignments are sent through the second week of classes. You should take the time to get to know your roommate and discuss the things that are important to you. When you arrive on campus, you and your roommate will be asked to complete a roommate agreement by your Resident Assistant. While students may request a change of building assignment, these requests cannot be guaranteed. If we can make a change prior to arrival you will be notified.
During the school year, students who are interested in a room change should discuss this option with their Resident Assistant or Community Director. There are limited opportunities for room changes, particularly in the first year residence halls. If your request is due to a roommate conflict, mediation will be the first step with your RA or Community Director.