Does the Office of Neighborhood Life (ONL) help students find off-campus housing?

Yes, students looking for housing off campus can view available housing listings and roommate profiles by visiting https://ochlistings.georgetown.edu/.

Does D.C. law limit the number of roommates I may have?

Yes. If you live in a single family dwelling, D.C. law permits a maximum of 6 unrelated individuals to live in the residence.

Does the University's Code of Student Conduct apply to me, even though I live off-campus in a privately owned property?

Yes. All students, undergraduate and graduate, must adhere to the Code of Student Conduct, regardless of where they live.

I received an e-mail from ONL about attending a mandatory orientation session. What is this about and what if I don't go?

ONL will notify all undergraduates who are required to attend the off-campus orientation with the date, time and location of the orientation sessions. Orientation is conducted by ONL staff at the beginning of fall semester. For students who fail to attend ONL orientation, the Registrar will place a hold on the students' registration for classes for the following term. Failure to attend orientation may also result in a Failure to Comply violation of the Code of Student Conduct.

Can ONL help me with problems with my landlord?

Although we cannot give legal advice, ONL staff is available to meet with students to discuss problems they are having with their landlord. We can suggest helpful resources on landlord-tenant issues and provide contact information for these resources. Learn more in the District of Columbia Resources section.

What is a Basic Business License and is my landlord required to have one?

When property owners decide to rent a house, an apartment building or simply a portion of their home, the District of Columbia requires that they obtain a Basic Business License (BBL). This enables the City to ensure the property is safe to occupy and can be properly monitored. It gives renters and the landlord certain protections. It also triggers an inspection by the D.C. Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs (DCRA).

If I have a concern or complaint about a maintenance or safety issue in my rental property and it is not being addressed by my landlord in a satisfactory way, what can I do?

You can schedule a home inspection with DCRA, even if your landlord has a Basic Business License. You can also contact D.C. Fire & EMS to schedule a fire safety inspection. Call (202) 673-3331 for an appointment.

But what if I request an inspection of my house by the City and my landlord doesn’t like it? Could he/she do something to retaliate?

No, he/she cannot. You have a right to request the inspection, regardless of whether your landlord agrees with your doing so.

When does the trash get picked up in my neighborhood?

What do I do if the trash at my house is missed on collection day?

In D.C., call 311 if a collection has been missed. DPW will schedule out a day/time for pickup & give you a confirmation number.

What do I do to get rid of bigger trash items, like furniture or a mattress?

Bulk trash is picked up by appointment with DPW only. To have bulk trash removed, call DPW at 311. The only exception to this is move-in/move-out trash, which is picked up by the University at the beginning & end of the academic year. But note, if you have household items (e.g., furniture, small appliances), PAUSE before you call it bulk trash! Is it in good condition? If so, join ONL's effort to donate such items to people in need. Learn more.

I know my housemates and I will get a citation from Student Conduct if we don’t follow the trash disposal rules. What happens if we don’t pay the fine or do the work sanction hours?

Failure to pay the fine within 14 days will result in the fine being doubled and charged to students’ accounts. Failure to complete the work sanction hours within 14 days means the hours will also be doubled. In addition, any seniors who have outstanding fines or work sanction hours for a trash violation will not be permitted to sign up for Senior Week activities.

What are my responsibilities for maintaining the small yard at my house?

D.C. law prohibits property owners from allowing grass and weeds on their premises to grow more than 10 inches in height. Also see ONL’s Outdoor Maintenance Policy. ONL has many items in their office to that can be borrowed to help maintain your property.

If it snows this winter, do my housemates and I have to shovel sidewalks?

Yes. Residents are responsible for clearing sidewalks. D.C. law requires property owners to clear snow and ice from sidewalks, handicap ramps and steps abutting their property within the first eight daylight hours after the snow, sleet or ice stops falling. Also see ONL’s Outdoor Maintenance Policy. ONL will provide shovels and ice melt to students through its winter house program.

What is SNAP?

SNAP (Student Neighborhood Assistance Program) is a service coordinated by the Office of Neighborhood Life to enhance safety, assist students, and respond to community concerns about student conduct off campus. Learn more.

What should I do if SNAP stops at my house? Can SNAP document me up for a noise violation?

If SNAP stops at your residence, be polite and cooperative with the SNAP representative and heed their advice or instructions. The SNAP representative will address the issue identified or reported at your house and provide a report to the Office of Student Conduct. Based on the reports received from the SNAP team, the Office of Student Conduct staff will follow up with the students involved. Whether students will be found responsible for any violations of the Code of Student Conduct is determined on a case-by-case basis, depending on the circumstances of the incident. If students are found responsible for a violation of the Code, sanctions will be issued.

What happens if a neighbor calls the University’s Helpline to report noise at my house?

If the Helpline call comes during the time that SNAP is operating, the SNAP team will answer the call and go to the residence reported to address the issue. During all other times, the Helpline is answered by Georgetown University Police Department officers, who will dispatch the Metropolitan Police Department, if needed, and/or send a report to the Office of Student Conduct.